Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Checks August 14, 2020 – Posted in: Blog
During the holidays and the huge sales thereafter is a hot time for bad checks. It’s certainly not limited to holiday time, but it seems that criminals take a liking to the holiday season in ways that wreck it for the rest of us.
No business is immune. Large, small or mid-sized, every company must take precautions.
A few tips from Costco Service Provider Harland Clarke can help you and your employees spot fraud before the damage is done. Here’s what to look for when examining a paper check:
- Missing routing or bank numbers
- Low check number as it may indicate a newly opened account
- Missing address
- Handwritten address
- Missing bank name
- “Void” printed anywhere on check
- Glued, taped or stapled check
- Obvious erasures or white out portions
- Missing signature
- Unusually large purchase from unknown customer
Security features, like a watermark are a good sign that the check is legit. You may want to make a quick call to the bank before you finish the transaction.
As a business owner, you have the right to protect yourself. If the check just doesn’t feel or look right, request another form of payment.